Support your charity's future sustainability
As a charity, your governing document is integral to your decision-making. It provides the rules for running your charity and validating your existence with the Charity Commission.
Many Alliance member charities believe they have adopted the Alliance Model Pre-school Constitution 2011, but less than 15% have actually done so correctly. For the adoption to be valid with the Charity Commission, it must be submitted through the Alliance’s Scheme process.
- Elect staff (with their agreement) to the role of trustee, allowing them to act as the nominated person with Ofsted*
- Appoint staff (with their agreement) to the role of holding trustees
- Allow adequate financial control over funds through dual authorisation
- Exclude trustees from discussions where there is potential for a conflict of interest
- Ensure general meetings take place, after having been adjourned due to a low turnout
- Remove trustees who commit a misconduct
*Since January 2016 only a trustee can act as the nominated person.
You will need to hold a General Meeting, to ask all members to approve the new governing document. Please then send the following statement to Information Services (see contact details below)
I confirm that the members of our charity have voted in favour of adopting the Pre-school Learning Alliance Model Pre-school Constitution 2011 in line with the requirements of our current constitution, and we hereby request that the Alliance registers this with the Charity Commission. We understand that this will not be effective until we receive confirmation from the Pre-school Learning Alliance. We do not believe that we have the ability to update our constitution and adopt the latest version (2011) provided by the Pre-school Learning Alliance, we believe therefore that we need the assistance of the Charity Commission.
Within your email or letter, you will need to include:
- your charity name and number, Alliance membership number, your name, position and email or postal address
- a copy of the new constitution – with page 1 and 8 completed
- minutes from the General Meeting showing agreement of your members
To view the Alliance constitution, alongside further guidance on running your charity, please log in to our website using your membership details at www.pre-school.org.uk/members-area.
For further information, please contact us:
50 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8RT
T. 020 7697 2595