Welcome to Egloskerry Pre-school
Egloskerry Pre-school is part of the Early Years Alliance and is located in the rural village of Egloskerry, near Launceston, Cornwall.
Our nature-inspired eco-nursery is on the grounds of Egloskerry Primary School.
We offer 20 Ofsted-registered places to 2, 3 and 4 year olds. We were proud to be assessed as ‘Good’ in our last Ofsted inspection in November 2017.
We are open Monday to Friday, from 9am to 3pm during term-time. We offer a range of sessions to meet the differing needs of families.
Our committed, friendly and well-qualified staff team provides high quality care and learning opportunities for children based on their individual needs and stages of development. We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) with a focus on learning through play and actively promote learning through the children’s interests.
We offer a wide range of indoor and outdoor experiences in our natural and calm environment, including all-year round Forest School experiences in our purposely designed Forest School area.
We encourage parents to become involved in the life of the nursery.
'Staff are kind and caring, and form strong bonds with children, supporting their emotional development well. They create a calm and nurturing atmosphere where children develop a firm sense of belonging and themselves.' (Ofsted 2017)
- Funded childcare for qualifying two year olds and all three and four year olds, including the 30 hour offer for eligible parents
- A safe, friendly and supportive environment for you and your child
- Learning through indoor and outdoor play activities
- All year round Forest School experiences
- A well-qualified, kind and caring team
- Individual learning journals to capture your child’s time at Egloskerry Pre-school
- A dedicated ‘key person’ for each child to give focused support and enabling their full potential
We are excited to announce that from September 2020 we will now be open 5 days a week!
Egloskerry Primary School
We work in partnership with Egloskerry Primary School to provide a joined up service, empowering our children with a love of learning and the confidence to grow and move onto the next stage.
Egloskerry School's website gives you just a taster of the 'Egloskerry Primary School Experience', it cannot replace a visit to soak up the wonderful atmosphere in our school.
If you are a prospective parent/carer, please look at our prospectus for more information or alternatively please contact us to make an appointment to see the school in action.
Find out more
For up to date information and events please visit our Facebook page
To find out more or arrange a visit, please contact Vicki, Acting Pre-school Manager on 01566785684
or email email@example.com
Egloskerry Pre-school is a rural setting, operating from a purpose-built building on the site of Egloskerry Primary School. We provide a happy, relaxed and safe environment for all children from 2 years to school age to learn through play and exploration. Our unique eco-nursery and natural approach to learning fosters an appreciation, respect and care for nature.
Sessions are child centred, and through enabling environments we are able to cater for each child’s individual needs. Children are given the freedom to learn by following their own interests.
Through a stimulating, nurturing and language rich environment, children’s play and learning is supported and extended, creating a community where collaborative learning takes place daily. Children are enabled to develop important life skills such as persistence, resilience, curiosity, creativity and resourcefulness. They are empowered as exploratory learners with a high emotional intelligence.
Our pre-school environment and play opportunities are planned and resourced in accordance with the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework. Please find below some examples of how we promote each area of learning through play:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – Opportunities are maximised throughout the day including at circle times, mealtimes and through stories, games and transitions to help children with independence, developing a sense of belonging and understanding emotions.
- Communication and Language – We have a large range of fiction and non-fiction books available throughout the pre-school environment. We talk about print in a variety of contexts as well as singing songs and rhymes regularly. We use some key Makaton signs in the everyday life of the pre-school. Imaginative play, including small world play and role play areas also support the development of communication and language development.
- Physical Development – Our garden, Forest School area and use of the school playground gives children at Egloskerry Pre-school the opportunity to move and explore in a range of ways and use a variety of tools whilst learning to manage risk. Indoors children develop a range of fine motor skills through using utensils at mealtimes, scissors, mark-making tools, construction and threading resources. They are also able to develop their independence and self-care skills in toileting, handwashing and dressing.
- Literacy – Throughout their time at Egloskerry children have the opportunity to develop both independently and through shared experiences, a love of books. They join in with and retell stories, sing songs and engage in action rhymes. There are many varied opportunities to mark make and talk about their pictures, to write and recognise letters from their name and take part in letters and sounds activities.
- Mathematics – Children discover and explore number, shape, space and measure through a range of play opportunities inside and outside and throughout the routines of the pre-school day. Counting and making marks to represent the number of children at pre-school each day is a favourite challenge of many of our children.
- Understanding the World – Children develop a sense of belonging whilst at Egloskerry and parents are encouraged to be part of this, enabling them to share experiences from home. Children love to explore the outdoor environments surrounding our pre-school and in particular enjoy bug hunting. We provide a range of resources involving technology for children to investigate. Two of their current favourites are the digital camera and the egg timer.
- Expressive Arts and Design – From painting, playdough, glueing, sticking and gloop, to singing, dancing, construction and role-play, children at Egloskerry are surrounded with opportunities to be imaginative and creative, having the freedom to express themselves in a range of ways.
At Egloskerry Pre-school we recognise and understand the huge benefits that free-flow play has on the positive development of young children, therefore children move freely between our indoor and outdoor spaces.
The balcony is an extension of our indoor provision and currently includes areas for mark-making, small world play, water play, construction and reading.
The garden hosts a large mud kitchen area, digging area, opportunities for sowing and growing, a willow dome, sensory planting area, range of loose parts and a well-stocked shed full of inviting resources.
We offer all year-round Forest School experiences in our purpose-developed Forest School area.
“Forest School is an inspirational process that offers children opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands on learning experiences in a woodland environment.” Forest School (England) Network