Changes to the EYFS 2021
The Department for Education is proposing changes to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
The government says the changes will improve outcomes for all children, but particularly the language and literacy outcomes for disadvantaged children and reduce teacher workload.
EYFS consultation: how to respond to the changes
The DfE is currently seeking responses to these proposed changes to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
The consultation opened on 24 October and will close on 31 January 2020.
Who can respond?
Anyone who has an interest in early years education and assessment can respond.
The Alliance will be submitting its own response to the consultation, but we also encourage people from across the wider sector to respond.
What is changing?
The consultation covers:
- proposed revisions to the educational programmes;
- proposed revisions to the Early Learning Goals;
- proposed changes to the assessment and moderation process for the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile
- and a proposed change to the safeguarding and welfare requirements to promote good oral health.
The DfE says that the proposals are intended to:
- make all 17 ELGs clearer, more specific and easier for teachers to make accurate judgements
- focus on strengthening language and vocabulary development to particularly support disadvantaged children
- strengthen literacy and numeracy outcomes to ensure all children have a good grasp of these areas of learning in preparation for year 1
- ensure the ELGs are based on the latest evidence in childhood development
- ensure they reflect the strongest predictors of future attainment.
How can I share my views?
We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to the changes, presenting text from the current EYFS alongside the proposed replacements to help you respond.
You can find a PDF of the consultation here.
You don’t need to complete your full response in one sitting – you can save part-way through and return back to the consultation.
If you would prefer to send your respond in a different format, the DfE will accept responses via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via post at:
EYFS Consultation, Early Years and Schools Group , Department for Education, 2nd Floor, Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3BT
What does the Alliance think of the proposals?
- We’ve shared our response to the consultation process here.
- You can also read our blog post 'Why the DfE's proposed changes to the early learning goals are flawed'.
- The Alliance is also part of a coalition of early years sector representatives calling for greater sector involvement in discussions surrounding the proposed changes. Read the coalition’s briefing here.
Watch the webinar: EYFS Reforms Consultation Q&A